skip to main content

Federal and State Requirements Regarding Special Education Services for Parentally Placed Nonpublic School Children

If you have placed your child in a nonpublic school, and while the child is enrolled in that school, you suspect that the student has a disability, you must contact the school district where the nonpublic school is located to request evaluation to determine your child’s eligibility for special education services. We must have your written consent in order for us to provide information (such as your child's Individualized Educational Program or IEP) to the school district where the nonpublic school is located. If you place your child in a nonpublic school and wish your child to receive special education services while enrolled in that school, you must request those services in writing no later than June 1st before the school year in which services are to be provided.  If the nonpublic school where you place your child is located within the geographic boundaries of another public school district, the public school district in which the nonpublic school is located will arrange for and provide the recommended services for your child. The personnel and locations for the delivery of those services will be determined by that school district.  Federal and State law requires this.  Transportation requests from your child’s home to the nonpublic schools should continue to be submitted to the Hampton Bays School District by April 1st of the school year before transportation is to be provided.  If this applies to you, please contact the Office of Student Services at 723-4700 to pick up a Parent Nonpublic School Acknowledgement/Consent Form.